"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude."
-Julia Child

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Childhood Memories



Whenever I think of Orange Cake or Yogurt Cake ( one of my favorite cakes growing up) it always brings me back to my childhood These were the few cakes my mom would bake My mom was not much ( still isn't ) much of a baker -guess I know who I took after ...

This past weekend I was craving Orange cake ( guess I'm going through a fruit based cake period, first apples now oranges ) anyway after I pulled it out of the oven and the aroma of sweet oranges filled my kitchen I could close my eyes and feel like that child again anxiously waiting to eat it -and that's what I did soon after

It's a great cake for afternoon tea or whatever- time- of- day tea-, simple ingredients and easy to make

Orange cake
Here's the recipe :
150 gr butter
150 gr sugar
1 orange
3 eggs
150 gr flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder

Orange syrup
Orange juice from 1 orange, sugar, water and grated orange peel

Have all ingredients at room temperature
Prehaet Oven to 350, grease cake pan with butter and flour

Beat sugar with butter untill creamy
Add the juice of the orange and grated orange peel, add one egg at a time mixing well
whisk flour with baking powder and salt
Add flour to egg mixture mix gently Put batter in pan and bake for about 20 to 30 min
Check with toothpick to see if done

Take cake out of oven remove from pan and pour orange syrup over it

Let it cool and serve

1 comment: