"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude."
-Julia Child

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Kitchen Island


When we moved to our new house (2 months ago) I told my husband that we would not be doing any projects anytime soon –Nothing !!
In our previous house we did at least one project a year, it felt like we were always under construction I used to joke that I should just buy some yellow tape wrap it around our house with a sign Danger –Under Construction- Permanently

During the holiday season while baking some cookies ( I love to make Christmas cookies it’s the only thing I can bake besides bread- I was raised with home baked bread…but that’s another story for another time )
Anyway while baking with my daughter I soon realized that my kitchen although generous in size is not very functional I have to do most of the prepping on my kitchen table as the counter space is not adequate
I soon realized we need a kitchen island !!
So I made a sketch to show my husband ( he’s pretty handy ) it’s a very simple project… until I showed it to him and from there he started talking about adding a "peninsula" instead , -move the dishwasher and in that space create a garbage/recycling station etc etc Even replacing the counter ( which is a standard builder one ) with granite …..
I’m already measuring, making sure there ‘s enough space for our large kitchen table when it hits me –Hey No Reno’s remember ?!!
He doesn't understand why –
I explain my reasons... plus an island will be way cheaper ( throwing some numbers at him )
He continues with his thoughts on changing the kitchen I argue there’s no reason for this –It’s a brand new kitchen … this is going nowhere - we drop the subject
My sketch is hanging on my bulletin board ...there will be no island anytime soon LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment